A very enjoyable and interesting Sunday afternoon in search of inspiration at Faversham Open Gardens. Lots of plants for sale in the market and discovery of new places and routes through the town - had no idea about this original Georgian shop fron behind the Fleur de Lis Museum.
Friday 24 June 2016
One other criticism was the need to vary the brush marks in different areas of the paintings. This week I was really struggling with the brushes provided - next time I'll be bringing my own in!
We had an inspector observing the class - it was a bit disconcerting as she listened into our conversations ( she didn't know anything about painting). She did like my colours though, especially the purple.
Very tired when I got home as besides standing at the easel most of the day, trains were delayed because of flooding trains and they stopped people getting on the platform as they were getting overcrowded . There was then a last minute dash for the train and I had to stand until Rochester. Getting off at Faversham found Ian had been in the same carriage!! ( I did ring his mobile but he hardly ever has it on).
Tuesday 21 June 2016
A lovely weekend in excellent company at Contemporary Quilt's Summer School held at Hillscourt Conference Centre near Birmingham. The first thing I saw was all these delightful orange Hieraceum's, 'Fox and Cubs' . There was also some interesting woodlands and grasslands - I spent a peaceful half hour on Sunday sketching this holly hedge and oak tree before breakfast.
We were here to work tho'! I was doing Annette Morgans' Image Transfer class ( I'd originally booked to retreat but I would have been 'Billy no-mates' on my own so was happy to join the workshop) and learnt a lot , particularly about the versatility of t-shirt transfer paper
Using old maps has given me some ideas for International Threads 'Sign and symbols' quilt I have yet to start. With all the marshes and orchards around Faversham , there's a large variety of marks to choose from.
Thursday 16 June 2016
Another absorbing, frustrating, envigorating class at City Lit, this week using our own source material, practising how to select subject material that engages from secondary sources ( photos, drawings) by painting out areas on photo with white acrylic, turning upside down etc. Next week we'll start working on 2 pieces at once - this piece is of sufficient interest to continue with.
my second piece will have a different low- key ground in contrast to red/orange( again).
Session started with looking a paintings of a variety of artists and their approaches, what is not painted but the mind fills in. Many new to me but worth further investigation: Christian Hellmich;Richard Diebenkorn;frank Auerbach;Holger Kalberg;Kyoke Kanda;Nock Goss;Phoebe Unwin;Thomas Mullenbach;ZhangEnLi.
In haste, still to finish packing for CQ summer school tomorrow!
Friday 10 June 2016
Week 2 of ' Reading the Paint Surface' at City Lit started with the scene of our previous weeks endeavors partially covering the still life arrangement, a playful hint of what was to come - using a small hole in a piece of paper to look at the objects while we painted them!
Using the oil paints we mixed a light, mid and dark tone ( in my case a pale peach, red and purple) and used these to paint what we could see through a pinhole in the paper ( the stage above shows 2 overlapping views) The idea was to build up a picture in reverse of normal practice where you finish by putting in the detail, here you were starting with it!
As I haven't painted with oils since I was at school, this proved an additional challenge! I was also beginning to regret the choice of red as a mid tone ( I should have remembered the lesson learnt while doing my 'red boat ' journal quilts - it doesn't 'play nicely'). In feedback tutor was pointing out how the eye fills in the detail , finding shapes in the background like the rest of the vase
After lunch, a whole group crit which was incredibly valuable, looking at each others work and weighing up what draws your eye ( and to leave alone )balancing with areas that need more work.
The verdict on mine at the stage above was liking bottom left and the top ( apart from the hovering white oval) but to lose the 'stripey cap' in the foreground ( it's actually the coffee pot !)
We were then encouraged to add some more colours - I mixed some green for the bottle but it really wasn't working so I wiped it off ( the advantage of working in oils) . The tutor really liked what was left , it had a real translucent quality but said ' enough of the red period', that I now needed some cool colours to alter the temperature so I mixed some blue greys for the shadows.