Thursday 19 December 2019

Drawing Tuesday : William Morris Gallery





Drawing Tuesday on 10 December was at the William Morris Gallery in Walthamstow. What a delightful and interesting place, I  haven't been there before so spent most of my time looking round  with just a couple of drawings of  De Morgan bottles in the 'Shop' Gallery. Drawing images on curved shapes is challenging ( especially if you make the mistake of using more than one viewpoint!) 



 There were several school groups  there  , also sketching  and I learnt a lot eavesdropping on the teachers   ( they have some excellent  learning resources  here) . There was an activity room that contained original print blocks you could touch ( above)  and I was charmed to see William Morris's artist smock (  though not much evidence of paint marks on it, perhaps it was for 'best' )

The current exhibition ' Pioneers' explores the  connections between William Morris and the Bauhaus. Interesting textiles, furniture and ceramics  but what caught my eye was a couple of watercolours by Gerhard Marcks
 'Ploughing the Fields'  Gerhard Marcks 
'Workers Constructing a house' Gerhard Marcks 

The museum café where we  met up to compare notes was one of the best I've been in - well lit, a long table sufficient for our group and delicious coffee and food. I'll definately be returning...

No comments: