Friday 28 March 2008

CyberFyber Postcard

I've finished my exchange postcard to return to Susan Lenz. It was the first time I've done a postcard - I thought having worked at A4 scale for many years it wouldn't prove too difficult but although I enjoyed solving some of the technical problems that arose, I can't say I warmed to the technique.



I finished the back off with a digital print ( 'second' quality) and practised using the machine to stitch my signature (normally you can't read my writing so that's a step forward!) However it hid the stitching that I'd done - I like the backs of my quilts to be as interesting as the fronts and they normally are with the amount of stitching that goes into them

I used Timtex to give more rigidity than wadding but it's really wierd to stitch. It's a bit like a shock absorber, swallowing the 'hills and vales' that you get when quilting with wadding. When I was trimming it down , you could see the stitches embedded when viewed in cross section.

This lack of dips and rises became more obvious when I came to paint with acrylics over the stitching (the front base was a slubby kimono fabric) Instead of the stitching pulling up the fabric and wadding, the stitches stood proud on the surface so I didn't get the variation in paint texture I aim for.

Given the limitations I was quite pleased how it turned out but I won't rush to do another.



6 comments:

West Country Buddha said...

I confess I have missed out on the postcard thingy and don't quite understand how they work. I could see where it's fun to have a tiny piece of art from someone especially if their work is quite expensive or not for sale, or they are a chum, but I suspect you could spend an awful lot of time doing them. I wish there were more hours in a day.

The Idaho Beauty said...

I too have been tempted but have not plunged into the postcard thing. I've looked at Timtex and for the life of me couldn't see why anyone would want to stitch through it. Yet all these postcard making people weren't complaining about it. I was heartened then to read that your experience with it was just what I imagined it would be - not so good.

The one postcard I've received through the mail was not done on timtex. In fact, I think she just used a dense cotton batting. It was very lovely. She also didn't do the heavy satinstitching around the edge which I also struggle with.

I may yet give it a go, but I too need more hours in the day, and most postcard makers do admit these little gems take more time than they probably should for their size.

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

I was interested to hear your view of Timtex... I have not found a source to purchase it, so have used felt in the centre of mine. I have finally sorted out the edge stitching by buying the No2 foot for my Bernina and going round twice. I have only made a couple of postcards and like yourself.... am not toatlly enthused. I can however se its potential as a sample record.
It has been good to read about your thin blue line challenge. MIne is so adored by the Siames I am not sure it will find its way to the challenge organisers. Anyway its phiotos first.
Best wishes
Maggie

Cyber Fyber said...

Hi Margaret!
Thank you ever so much for this fabulous postcard. It has arrived here in South Carolina. You might not have "warmed" to the size but the result is grand. Thanks too, for blogging about it.
Susan

Nellie's Needles said...

I've discovered your wonderful blog through Anne Wigfull's award nominations. You're now subscribed to on my Google Reader.

About the postcards ... a thin layer of batting can be used along with the Timtex to get the effect that you're after. Another way would be to add the Timtex after most of the stitching is finished ... just a few rows of machine stitching or just the edge stitching or bonding could hold it all together. My preference for finishing is to couch yarn to the raw edge.

Judy Martin said...

Lovely painting over the stitching.