I finished the back off with a digital print ( 'second' quality) and practised using the machine to stitch my signature (normally you can't read my writing so that's a step forward!) However it hid the stitching that I'd done - I like the backs of my quilts to be as interesting as the fronts and they normally are with the amount of stitching that goes into them
I used Timtex to give more rigidity than wadding but it's really wierd to stitch. It's a bit like a shock absorber, swallowing the 'hills and vales' that you get when quilting with wadding. When I was trimming it down , you could see the stitches embedded when viewed in cross section.
This lack of dips and rises became more obvious when I came to paint with acrylics over the stitching (the front base was a slubby kimono fabric) Instead of the stitching pulling up the fabric and wadding, the stitches stood proud on the surface so I didn't get the variation in paint texture I aim for.
Given the limitations I was quite pleased how it turned out but I won't rush to do another.