I chose the shell I drew in pencil the week before - it may be difficult but its absorbing and I'm getting the hang of it now. Unfortunately I found out the effect of bleach on quink the hard way when my work was displayed under someones wet work that dribbled onto mine! I had some bamboo pens but they didn't give the variation in line I was expecting - scribbling with a school dip pen was much more effective.
I ran out of time to try out further experiments with different pens and acrylic inks so Sandra let me take the shell home with me! I tried some watercolour washes too as that's a technique I use a lot when travelling. The quick sketch in the upper left was done with a Pentel brush pen - I'd forgotten how satisfying the variation in line could be. I'd like to say it's less messy with a cartridge than dipping a pen into a pot of ink but.... This weeks lesson is with charcoal. I've used the opportunity of having the shell at home to take some photos in better light - I'll be reluctant to give it back.I managed one day to work on my 'breakthrough' piece and I'm looking forward to taking a few days off after the conference is over to work on it (nothing like a deadline!) I'm treating myself to a day out at the Knit and Stitch show at Ally Pally on Saturday - well I NEED some more supplies, especially textiles paints so I can get stuck into some lino-cutting and printing.