Monday 18 February 2019

2018 Highlights

So many  blogposts in 'draft'  format !  This morning I've been putting my studio back to rights, sorting out my collapsed bookshelves  and preparing  some  sized calico to take to Glenthorne   next week for  annual retreat.  My focus with EDAM  course restarting  and sketchbook challenges  has been on drawing   so   I'm  hoping that reviewing the last year I can think  about where I'm going next o the textile  front!




 In January 2018 I started  my Contemporary Collage course at City Lit learning a variety of techniques and approaches and introduced to over 100  contemporary  artists. My favourite  was desecrating ' Dinghy Ownership for the non-racing man'  bought in Past Sentence bookshop in Faversham.  
 In February/ March   I continued  my  collaging when on annual retreat  in the Lake District, constructing 'impossible  walks' combining photos  from Pouchers 'Lakeland Fells'  besides  sketching and walks in a very snowy  landscape ( we were there during the 'Beast from the East' although it was a lot worse at home in Faversham than in the 'Frozen North' ). I  stayed a couple of  nights afterwards  with a fellow member of 'Cwilt Cymru'  for the opening  of 'Traces'  at Stockport War Memorial Art Gallery


 Also in March  I did  a  2 day painting course  with Ashley Hanson at Creek Creative  on 'Painting the Novel' ( I based mine on 'Remarkable Creatures' by Tracey Chevalier) 

 My studio was out of action for April as I was sleeping on a mattress in there  while our bedroom was decorated and new furniture installed.  I worked on my  Sketchbook Project  'A Vital Spark' in the kitchen. 
 In April and May  I fitted in several visits to galleries:  'Journeys with the Wasteland' at Turner Contemporary, Margate ; Kurt Jackson at Messums and Peter Sacks at Malborough Fine Arts  ( picture above).  ' Migrations'  was the most inspiring  exhibition of the year   for me.
During May and June  I did another course at City Lit : Large Scale Sketchbook. It really was huge ( A2) -  and  learnt a lot  from being prepared to cut through, layer, insert images 
Also in May , I had the first of 2 courses at Lund Studios  in Easingwold : Colour Mark and Composition with Gizella K Warbuton.  I enjoyed the process of close observation of details  and recording the marks  but wasn't sure  how it would add to my practice.  However   I applied some of the same approaches  ( and colour palette)  later in the year  in Matthew Harris's 'Mapping a sense of Place'  and  am now looking at combining them in new work   
 Exhibitions visited in June included  Picasso at Tate Modern;  the RA  Summer Exhibition ( which is one of my missing posts!)  and Prism at  Hoxton Arches. 'Loss'  by Anita Bruce ( above) affected  me deeply - both the subject matter and  the way the  marks on the back of the  pages of text were integral to the  work.  

 July was indigo time ,  with a dyeing session in Deal , which resulted in some wonderful effects particularly on sections of old quilts.  I used some of these in my ' indigo boro' Journal quilts

 Ian and I had a few 'mini- breaks'  in London , staying at the Premier Inn in Brentford round the corner from where we used to live  in order to go to concerts.  Being after hours in the British Museum was very  special as was the First night of the Proms with  Holst's 'The Planets'  and a spectacular light show
 Whenever I   can, I travel up to London to draw in museums  with  the 'Drawing Tuesday' group.   July's meeting  at Tate Modern was particularly exciting with a flypast for 100 years of the RAF  and rehearsals underway for William Kendridge 'The Head and the Load'  


 August was  exceptionally busy,  I was hardly home.  Going to Pauline Burbidge open studios, and meeting Dorothy Caldwell  and buying a piece of her work  was a   highlight of the year
 
I had my regular trip to Festival of  Quilts,  much to admire, it was the work of Marie Harryman that  grabbed me most . I also had a quick trip to Swansea to collect my  Cwilt Cymru quilts exhibited there as part of Swansea Festival of Stitch. 
September was also very busy, I didn't have time to get to Heidelberg  for the opening of the 7th European Quilt Triennial   which included my piece " Wind Me in the Sea"

I had my long anticipated course with  David Tress at Lund Studios, collaging  and painting  and  a second , very interesting  class with Ashley Hanson  at Creek  Creative  on 'Black and White' 

It wasn't until October that Ian and I had a much needed holiday together , returning to Weymouth  for the 12th time staying at our 'home from home'

I'm still  working out how to apply the approach from thought-provoking Matthew Harris   course  ' Mapping a Sense of Place '  - most of my presents at Christmas were books on maps !


Outstanding exhibitions were the Anni Albers  at Tate Modern ,  Paul Fieler  and Oceania at the RA

Finally, the EDAM ( Extended Dawing for Artists and Makers) course at City Lit  has so far been terrific, just what I needed to shake  up my ideas and push me way  out of my comfort zone with stimulating and challenging projects ( I'm even beginning to enjoy using charcoal tho' still hate the mess!

No comments: