Sunday 17 November 2019

Drawing Tuesday at Museum of London ( plus S.E.W. exhibition)


Last Tuesday  I was back drawing in the Museum of London, in my favourite section ' London before London'  among the prehistoric axes and  pots.  My current sketchbook  started there in June last year   and creature of habit that I am , I was drawing the same pots from the other side of the case! It's always  very busy with school group and excited children   but it's  rather gratifying to have their praise for your drawings no matter how poor and to  find out what they like to draw. 





  This time I was using my embossing ' scraffito'  pen with  watercolour pencil and graphite over the top 
 I struggled with the proportions of this collared pot  ( calligraphy pens and graphite) , even after all these years ,  it's so easy to  revert to not looking and drawing what you think you see .
After lunch in the café , Margaret mentioned the '  vegetable dolls'  which were  charming and definately worth a look
Then   Janet, Sue, Judith and I headed  to Clerkenwell   for exhibition by Society for Embroidered Work ( totally lost my sense of direction as   we took shortcuts through  Smithfields)  Interesting selection of work on show ( online catalogue here) 
Emily Tull 
Sue Hodgkiss 
Edith Barton 
 Annie Taylor 
 Djonne Swift 
 Deborah Cooper
Bridget Steel-Jessop
And the gallery space itself was so inspiring, all that peeling paint!


 I then  headed to the  British Museum Members Room for afternoon coffee and cake  before my first  session   of Art in theory; Space and Place  at City Lit ( more about that in another post ). 
 I didn't get home till after 9.30, too exhausted to stitch on the train , but a very satisfying creative day.  Next week , back at the Petrie Museum ( my favourite)   

No comments: