Thursday 13 February 2020

Surface, Structure, Stitch at City Lit: Week 2

 It's several weeks ago now , but the second  class with Louise Baldwin  at City Lit was just as  exciting as the first .  The focus was on machine quilting/stitching  and as predicted , my major challenge was getting used to the  machines ( Bernina 1008 )  and  how they worked.  The dedicated  textile studio is very well equiped - I was looking around for where the power sockets were , they descend from the ceiling on pulleys ! 
 The session started with a review seated around a table of what we'd done the previous week  and  any  images or samples  we'd done for homework, a very useful  process. 



 We  then started off drawing shapes  and creating    designs for quilting 
 Louise had a variety of samples  showing the effect of  different  thicknesses  of waddings/ felt, slashing ( faux chenille) ; layering and making holes;  different fabrics.  
In a Powerpoint she showed work by Michael James, Penny Beres, Diana Harrison , Ester Bornemisza , Judith Denito Brown. Tim Harding, Vashali Oak

My first sample I used orange felt as the  wadding  and raided the scrap basket  for pieces of fabric  with colours and textures of shells,  using free motion quilting foot  to stitch lines

 For the 2nd sample  I used both the felt and  a very thick polyester wadding,  with scrim  and  upholstery samples, doing ' twiddles'  in different areas   leaving long threads  between them   
 She  demonstrated for me other properties of scrim - stretching it in a hoop then free machining  causing fabric to distort  like drawn thread work - definately one to try!  Other people were using a cording foot  to make corded lines and  a tailor tacking foot to make interesting large stitches and loops.  Definately  ones to add to my list  (  I've  checked and they  do them for my Bernina Activa 125) 

 I like to combine machine and hand stitching  so prepared a  more traditional sandwich of thin cotton wadding  with a calico backing and   applied some scrap fabric 'limpets'    and did some machine quilting  to secure them .   As I knew  I would miss the class the following week  , I had a chat with  Louise about  how I might  add hand stitching  ( basically try lots and cover the whole thing! )   




No comments: