Monday 8 December 2008

Finishing UFO's II

Another UFO ( UnFinished Object) has now turned into a WIP (Work in Progress). I made this lap quilt/wall hanging in the 1990's based on the Guinea fowl at Kew ( they're such characters , resembling rather manic city gents that I called them 'The Chaps') The background is made of hand dyed silks and cottons ( that dates it to pre 1998 when my kitchen was refurbished and I could no longer make a mess dyeing in buckets ). The chaps themselves are hand appliqued in different grey fabrics which were also used in the borders and on the back ( below)


I started out hand quilting but ended up 'echo' machine quilting around the shapes of the guinea fowl and made a freezer paper quilting pattern of smaller guinea fowl around the border.


All that was left to do was to stitch feather patterns on the guinea fowl themselves - I did a couple then abandoned it - it's quite tough going as they were appliqued using vilene so there's 5 layers to stitch through!

I've been inspired to finally finish it as a birthday present for our nephew who loves birds and birdwatching and might appreciate it rather than being stuffed in a drawer. A few wonky stitches until I found the notes and diagram I'd made several years ago for teaching 'crows foot' Very satisfying - I can see me using this stitch more now I've rediscovered it.







8 down , 4 to go. If I have sufficient time I might machine stitch their feet and crests - I'm not convinced how permanent the red fabric marker pen is.


7 comments:

sara said...

I follow your blog with great enjoyment and don't understand how you get so much done as well as being at work.

MixPix said...

Oooo, this is so gorgeous - lucky nephew! Congratulations on attacking UFOs - it's inspiring me to have a go at the studio wall, where I pin things that are waiting to be finished.

Eva said...

These chicks are so sweet, I'd like to feed them.

Margaret Cooter said...

When at Kew I look out for those birds but haven't seen them lately - are they wandering in some far corner of the gardens?

Linda Cline said...

This is a such a cheerful happy quilt. Your nephew is sure to be thrilled that you got this out to finish it.

Just found your blog, and love your work. I like your Honesty pieces, the subtle colors, the strong lines, and the layered look.

jude said...

i always enjoy seeing your work. i love the repetition and subtle variation here...

Art4Sol said...

I love your quilt with the hand stitching....I'm sure your nephew will treasure it for years to come... thank you for sharing your Christmas decorating...will have to try and locate ginger wine...never heard of it...happy holidays.
Darlene