Sunday, 29 June 2014
'Bexhill Breakwaters' and 'Rich as Honesty' were 2 of these. Then having run out of large size pieces , I started buying 'cutter' quilts from ebay : a red and white strippy coverlet formed the basis of 4 quilts.
Planning on dying some of my finds in an indigo vat later this summer, I've been buying quite a few more recently. I obtained this blue wavy medallion for a very reasonable price as the red areas of the quilts are disintegrating. The quilting is fairly crude and the backing is perfect tight weave for painting on so as is my practice, I put it in the washing machine on a gentle wash.
When it came out of the machine the areas of disintegration were more marked and several seams were giving way. Which is when I found that instead of wadding, old fabrics had been used, a few fairly coarse cottons but principally what looks like a very fine wool paisley striped shawl in pale greens and browns. I will do a bit more careful unpicking but what a find, my own 'Boro'!