Tuesday 10 March 2020

Surface, Structure, Stitch at City Lit Week 8 (and February Journal Quilt )



   CQ JQ  Feb20   Mussel Holes 



   Week 8  of Surface, Structure, Stitch  and  the start of our 5 weeks working on our own project .  Each person shared their ideas and I showed  my 'homework'  from Glenthorne

 When I was talking to  Louise ,  we looked  in particular  at the multiples I'd produced  ( the stack of colour catcher shapes disintegrated   as she handled it as I hadn't  secured it sufficiently, beads everywhere! )  suggesting overlapping strings of them, perhaps using  an acrylic box from  Muji  to display them. I went at  lunchtime to have a look , what an array of  possibilities.  


 I put together more ' sandwiches'  of  indigo fabrics with bondaweb between  but then  started playing with the 'holes '  leftover  from  cutting them out , putting together  9 inch journal Quilts  using denim from jeans in the scrap basket.   



 The  stack of colour catchers with holes in was particularly  exciting  and Louise had some ideas about  stitching them  together. Many people weren't familiar with the potential of  used colour catchers ( or what they were )  but I've been using them for years including  the start of daily drawing practice in 2013 ( tho it didn't get too far )  

  I've even used the holes before  in this  Journal Quilt  from  2009 

 I was also reminded  how much I like the shapes  and limited colour palette  in Paul Feilers work 

  Back at home,  I followed Louise's  suggestion of  quilting from the back with  a heavier thread in the bobbin


 Now I just need to  sort out what I'm doing in tomorrow's class....


4 comments:

Pheasant Run Studio said...

sorry- no pics

The Idaho Beauty said...

Most of the photo aren't showing. If I click on them it basically says you do not have permission to retrieve them from where they reside.

magsramsay said...

I can't see them either ! When I was writing it there was a warning ths it was unsafe, looks like blogger is no longer working for me after all these years

magsramsay said...

Gone back into it and edited , hopefully you can now see the pictures!