Sunday 24 April 2011

Orchids of Crete



 On a walk to the sea on the far west coast of Crete, we at last see a few orchids - Anacamptis pyramidalis and Orchis italica mainly. Seeing so many in one spot (above) and distracted by a consultation about an anemone I trip over a stone and twist my ankle! Luckily we weren't far from a taverna and I whiled away an hour painting while others looked around a ruin and was able to get a taxi back.

Spent yesterday at the museum and a picnic lunch by the sea.
My ankle is a lovely colour now ( and I've discovered some other bruises in unexpected places) but hopefully with resting again today should be fit for a short walk tomorrow.Meanwhile , thanks to digital cameras , I'm still acting as consultant for flowers seen along the trail such as this Ophrys lutea.

No comments: