Monday 26 March 2012

Box Hill and Michelham




With such glorious weather this weekend, we decided to go to Box Hill for a walk - Ian wanted to revisit the 'Gallops' but  as the signage has been altered ( my excuse, nothing to do with my map reading!) we headed into Michelham instead. This wonderful old screen to the church door (relocated to  a rustic arch in the graveyard)   is even more weathered than when  I painted it in my sketchbook ten years ago. I was relieved to see it still there.  

We had our picnic lunch in my favourite spot on the South facing meadow  with views of Burford Spur and the vineyards beyond - just look at the shadows under those trees!
I  christened a new sketchbook with a couple of bad watercolours using my 'mint' paintbox, trying to capture the purple haze around these birch trees. One of the charms of revisiting is that there's always something new to see in even familiar views
After a pint of 'Seafarers Ale'  at the 'Running Horses' pub opposite the church  in Michelham we walked a smart pace back to the station  along part of the 'Mole Gap Trail' crossing backwards and forward under and over the railway line, making good use of the kissing gates!   Back in London, we were ready for our £6.95 veggie curry  buffet at Ravi Shankar (especially masala dosas with coconut chutney ), bath and bed by 9pm!
 

No comments: