Saturday 19 June 2010

Dublin in 8 Photos

I know how she feels!!
I'm finally catching up with some sleep after very early flight to Dublin on Friday and very late return on Tuesday followed by more cauliflower cloning training.
I was collected from the airport in Dublin and taken to Malahide for 2nd breakfast (Hobbit style) having had my first at 5am! Great to catch up with Noeleen, Emer and Christine - thanks to contacts had a privileged peak in the private areas of the gardens at Malahide Castle with their amazing collection of Australasian plants - a lot that wouldn't survive in the UK

I couldn't resist these rusty fences! Then off to Kinsealy for a very useful look around the lab and finally to Glasnevin Botanic Gardens which was the venue for the conference.
I had a bit of time to look around Dublin, visiting Hugh Lane Art Gallery - discovering artists new to me like Louis le Brocquy (more in another post) . Even though I'm not a big fan of Francis Bacon's work, the reconstruction of his studio and the description and records of the painstaking work involved was absolutely fascinating as were the insights into his working methods.
After lunch in the deli at Avoca I made my way to the National Museum of Archeology, snapping doors as I went( although they're not crumbly enough for my taste!). So many items had been preserved in bogs (including textiles) - the prehistoric gold, found in hoards was jaw-dropping, a similar experience to seeing the masks from Mycenae. Photos were, understandably, not allowed but I didn't think they'd mind me taking a picture of the stairs.
After a brief visit to the Irish Museum of Modern Art ( spending some time with a lovely couple of Rothkos, part of an exhibition linked to composer Morton Feldman) , it was time to switch to botanical congress mode.
The conference was opened by the Taoiseach (equivalent of prime minister) and we had a reception in the Castle state apartments( I would have been a bit worried about red wine on the beautiful carpets! )
I'd had to change my flight as the session I was speaking in was moved. Just time to give my presentation and head home.
PS - Best meal I had was at the Mermaid Cafe with free entertainment observing what was going on at the stage door of Olympia Theatre nearby.

1 comment:

The WestCountryBuddha said...

I'm sorry, but I had to read this post three times. The first two times nothing registered as I couldn't stop thinking of cauliflower cloning. Not something you hear about every day!