Tuesday 15 October 2019

Drawing Tuesday: Captain Scott's Overshoes at National Maritime Museum

 It's a long time   since I've  met up with the   'Drawing Tuesday'  gang ( last time was the Petrie  in August! )  Lots  has been going on  in the intervening months  ( which I might eventually get round to blogging about )  but it's easier to start from what I did today. 

I do like visiting the National Maritime  Museum  in Greenwich and can get there  by train without going through London, travelling  on Thameslink train from Gravesend  seeing a different part of Essex from my 'Javelin Journeys' . My last visit there  in January I didn't do much drawing as I was  investigating maps.  I spend about half an hour wandering through the Pacific  tempted by the barkcloth,   before heading to the Polar Worlds.

 With a convenient  stool nearby ,  I drew  Captain Scott's  Overshoes , first in pencil and then  with a calligraphy  pen .  Difficult to get the proportions   right  in either medium, kept get different things wrong ! 
At home, doing more research ,I found this  blog post on their conservation.   Both poignant and fascinating. 

No comments: