Wednesday 16 October 2019

Rauschenburg at Tate Modern ( and British Museum )


This must be  some kind of record for me - I started this blog post in December 2016   when I first  visited the Rauschenberg exhibition at Tate Modern with  additional   pictures   having also seen some of his prints at 'The American Dream:pop to present'  at the British Museum  in March 2017 !! 
Photos of Robert Rauschenberg's 'Bed' where he'd used an old quilt  to paint on when he couldn't afford canvas  was hugely influential for me when I first started painting with acrylics on pieces of an old Durham quilt. I felt like I'd been given permission. So it was wonderful to finally see it in the flesh at last at the retrospective of his work at Tate Modern.  I'd seen some of his work before - posters in Tate Modern  display at the same time as the Rothko  and the wonderful ' Jammers' at the Gagosian. 



















No comments: