Sunday 20 October 2019

Window with Ashley Hanson at Creek Creative

 In September  I took part  in my 3rd ' freedom in painting "workshop with  artist Ashley  Hanson at Creek Creative  ( previous ones were on Painting the novel  and black  and white )  this time  on the theme  of the window in painting.  Looking in, looking out,  frame within a frame :  we were asked to respond to the idea of a window, from  framing of views  to the abstraction of the painted frame
 He started out with an overview of how different artists  had tackled this theme, from Giotto to Howard Hodgkin. Of particular interest were pairings from the  Matisse/Diebenkorn exhibition ( how I wish I'd seen that ! )


 We were asked to bring drawing/photos  of our favourite  window(s)  and the view beyond as a spring board  for our paintings  and ( as in previous workshops) 2 identical canvases.  I  brought views from train windows which I'd been developing as apart of my EDAM ' Meanwhile ' project   (   not a new obsession, it dates back at least  15 years ) .  Also for inspiration I bought copies of works by Paul Feiler - I like what happens at the edges  of his paintings






 The first exercise  was to draw a fame on the canvas , make further frames within it to the same  scale/format and then to draw over  with our  chosen subject matter 



 This went though various transformations  following discussions  with Ashley to  finish ( ( for now)  at the stage below. I've learnt  now through his classes not to panic when things look awful at the end of the first day,  that things often get resolved  with last few brush strokes and  that all the mistakes add to texture and variety of marks beneath the surface.
 The second exercise was to  paint  a ' window'  offset   rather than the central position of the first. 
  I mainly worked on this on the second day, not fully resolved yet , I like the curves and the 'South Eastern  Violet'  but the views  from the window need further work ( it was was getting  very thick with paint and was still wet at the end of the day ) 
 Having brought 4 A3 canvases  with me , I decided I'd like to try the same exercises but in landscape rather then portrait orientation ( with the hindsight of knowing what we should be doing ! ) based on  a photo of the reflection inside the railway carriage . 


 This was my off-centre window,  it needed very few  gestural  marks  to give the impression I wanted






 While  the more centrally place window  with frames  required a  lot of obliteration  and changes to  recover from it's awfulness
In the  end though, this was my favourite of the  paintings produced and  it's Ian's favourite too.   The part of the journey  in 'tunnel land' is  one familiar to us both,  suddenly aware of people around  you in the reflections in the window.   

No comments: